Monday, September 14, 2009

Dog Photography/Art Photography


This is a picture of my dog Bob. Many years ago I broke into the field of photography by publishing a very successful book about a cat. The book, Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir, proved to be a steady seller for 18 years. It's finally dying now. I promised myself that I wouldn't do another animal book, since I didn't want to be known as an animal photographer. I wanted to be an art photographer, and no one takes you seriously if you do pet projects. So I did 4 other books, including a book that combined pictures with short stories related to the pictures. The other books didn't sell as well as the cat book. And in any case, no one took me too seriously as an art photographer.

So I'm thinking of doing another pet book. In fact, an editor told me once that any book with a dog on the cover was good for at least 10,000 copies sold.

So I'm getting older now, and I would like to do another book that sells, preferably one with a dog on the cover. Here is where Bob comes in. I've taken around 20,000 pictures of Bob, so I'm confident I can find a great cover picture. I'm not too sure, though, why anyone would want to buy a book of pictures of my dog, and it's looking like finding a publisher is proving to be more difficult in these challenging financial times. But I will keep you posted.

Bob pictures can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment